Tuesday 11 March 2014

Old Father Time



Old Father Time, 3 illustrations by JVL in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Artists' Choice Editions, 2009.

The Text:

Alice sighed wearily. 'I think you might do something better with
the time,' she said, 'than waste it in asking riddles that have no
answers.'

'If you knew Time as well as I do,' said the Hatter, 'you wouldn't
talk about wasting IT. It's HIM.'

'I don't know what you mean,' said Alice.

 'Of course you don't!' the Hatter said, tossing his head
contemptuously. 'I dare say you never even spoke to Time!'

'Perhaps not,' Alice cautiously replied: 'but I know I have to beat
time when I learn music.'

 'Ah! that accounts for it,' said the Hatter. 'He won't stand beating.
Now, if you only kept on good terms with him, he'd do almost
anything you liked with the clock. For instance, suppose it were
nine o'clock in the morning, just time to begin lessons: you'd only
have to whisper a hint to Time, and round goes the clock in a
twinkling! Half-past one, time for dinner!'


No comments:

Post a Comment